So we’ve passed the midway point of 2014. How are those goals that you established at the beginning of the year coming along? Are you making the progress you anticipated by this point in the year, or have you lost steam somewhere along the way?
If you’re not careful, time can pass by so quickly that you’re left wondering what you’ve really accomplished. I’ve been there. Trust me, I know that feeling where you wonder how all that time has passed and you haven’t gotten any closer to achieving what you set out to do. Last year was the first year that I ever felt that I actually got a lot accomplished in a short period of time. The first half of 2013 I was laying the foundation; the second half of the year was all about taking action!
When I spoke at the January Canadian Small Business Women event, I spoke about 5 Keys to Making Your Goals a Reality. If you’re attending the Small Business Seminar in August, I will be running a workshop on these 5 keys. They are:
- Get Clarity of Your Goals – If you don’t know where you’re going, how will you ever know if you’ve arrived?
- Silence the Peanut Gallery – You can’t let the fears and pessimistic thoughts of others (or your own) stop you from going after what you want.
3. Have Faith – Without a belief in yourself and your abilities, challenges and obstacles will seem that much harder. Everything happens for a reason, even if it doesn’t always make sense at the time.
4. Create a Plan to Achieve Your Goal – Whether you’re using a GPS system or an old fashioned map, we need to plan our route that will guide us to our destination. It doesn’t hurt to have some check-points and mini-celebrations built into the journey!
5. Put Your Plan into Action – If you don’t put the plan into action, all the work done in the first 4 areas was a complete waste of time and paper! You have to be willing to face the fears of failure or making a fool of yourself and just do it. What’s the worst that could happen?
These 5 keys helped to keep me focused in the second half of 2013, where I left my full-time job, completed and published my first book and ran my first half-day workshop. These were all things that I had been talking about for a really long time, and that I finally accomplished. It’s never too late to make your goals a reality. All it really takes is commitment and a game plan. I look forward to seeing you on Saturday August 9th!
Sandra Dawes is a certified life coach specializing in helping women who feel unfulfilled with their 9-5 follow their dreams and pursue their passions. She holds an Honours BA, an MBA as well as a certificate in Dispute Resolution.She has completed her first book,Embrace Your Destiny: 12 Steps to Living the Life You Deserve!