Meditation is becoming more and more common in our society as a means of releasing stress and becoming more aware of your spiritual self. Although there are several techniques, each one of us has to find the method suits us best.
I enjoy the background of music and the dim lights and I can allow my mind to simply turn into a quiet cave. There are sounds and echoes around my quiet place and yet when they intrude on my personal time I simply guide my mind back to the silence. This has taken a long time and perhaps is not the method for you. Many others prefer a guided meditation tape that leads them to their quiet space.
I have added some simple recommendations to make your meditations a little easier.
1. Make this a daily practice. Preferably at the same time and in the same space.
2. Start with simple breathing. When inhaling count to 3 slowly and when exhaling, once again count to 3 slowly.
3. When frustration occurs, simply thank your mind for the intrusion of thought, and then bring your mind back to your breathing and continue the counting exercise.
4. Try different seating positions. You do not need to be cross-legged on the floor. You can be in an armchair or recliner.
5. Make sure you will not be disturbed. This is YOUR time. Hang a sign on the door letting your family know that you need your quiet time.
6. Light a candle. At times when you lose your focus concentrating on this candle will help you return to the focal point.
7. Know when to stop. If you are a beginner take pride in being able to accomplish 5 or 10 minutes. You can build from this point.
Anna Ottaviani is a Board Certified NLP Master Practitioner & Master Coach, Board Certified Master Hypnotherapist,Creating Your Future® , Time Line® Therapist Practitioner and Reiki Master. Her methods are unique and tailored to each individual client. She can be reached at www.sucessfullyyou.ca or by phone at 289-221-5772. You can follow her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/successfullyyou?ref=ts&fref=ts