Written by Canadian Small Business Women on behalf of our sponsor, Just Energy.
Households and small businesses in Ontario pay time-of-use prices for electricity that change according to the TIME OF DAY and DAY OF THE WEEK. The peak periods also change by SEASON. What this means though, is that households have to pay attention to the on-peak and off-peak schedule for Electricity rates and schedule their appliance use in the home around this schedule. For those of us who work from home, this means that we are often using the majority of the electricity in our house during on-peak hours.
Follow these tips to reduce your energy usage and save money:
- Upgrade to energy efficient appliances. Since 1992, the US Environmental Protection Agency initiative, Energy Star, has reviewed and rated energy efficiency in appliances, products and companies. Look for the blue star on new appliances to ensure that you are purchasing energy efficient appliances. Old home appliances that should be upgraded include heaters, hot water tanks, dishwashers and laundry machines.
- Use energy efficient light bulbs. LED light bulbs use up to 90% less energy and last 15-25 times longer than standard bulbs, meaning they need to be replaced less often.
- Reduce heating and cooling costs by using proper insulation, and using blackout or heat absorbing curtains on the windows.
- Unplug electronic devices that are not in use. All electronic devices will still consume electricity when they are turned off. Unplugging devices that are not in use, or using power bars that can be turned off will prevent your electronics from over-using electricity. Unplugging laptops and mobile devices that have already reached full charge will also help save their batteries by not over-charging.
- Compare electricity and natural gas costs with companies other than your local utility.
Just Energy now offers “My Time”, a unique electricity product which provides you with a single rate, no matter what time of day. Furthermore, with My Time the price you pay for your electricity will always be lower than mid-peak and on-peak rates.
Switching from your local utility to Just Energy ensures a hassle-free and cost-effective way to manage your home’s energy usage. Please call your Trusted Energy Advisor at 416.937.5090 for more details about this offer. Alternatively, visit justenergydeals.com/csbw to learn more and sign up today on more offers.
Just Energy is a proud sponsor of Canadian Small Business Women. Talk to a Just Energy representative at one of our upcoming events. Sign up today to win a Just Energy Office Package at NorthSpace in North York. Offer lasts until 23rd August*