As I sit here in my home office I am surrounded by dust. Layers of it actually, dust on top of dust; dust so thick that I am actually starting to believe my sturdy, “mahogany” (MDF mahogany coloured wood) desk is actually white. Why? We’re having just a few renovations going on in my home right now. Yes, I know I am lucky to be having renovations done. Yes, I know I am lucky to be able to work from home. I can assure you however this flexibility (along with the renovation of course) comes at a price!
I love the fact that I can book trades people to come at almost any time of day and it’s working from home that provides this luxury. I like to think I help create space for those that work outside of the home to get earlier evening appointments! That said, there are certain inconveniences:
- The inevitable waiting still happens. Should I start that next project, only to be interrupted when they arrive?
- Should I make that call? The trades are due here at 10:00am, it’s 9:58. You don’t make the call, they show up at noon – you do make the call they ring the bell promptly at 10:00!
- Working through the noise – my goodness, the noise! Some days I literally cannot hear myself think and the tapping of the keys on my laptop is completely obliterated by the sound of drills, hammers and something that sounds suspiciously like a shotgun! I’m not worried……ok, maybe I’m worried.
- The electrician has to turn the power off. Ok, no big deal its daylight but that means no coffee. NO COFFEE! How does one work without coffee? If there’s a way – please let me know.
- The plumber has to turn off the water. No problem. But wait! See above. NO COFFEE…unless you catch him in time to reload the pot before the water is gone.
- The plumber has to turn off the water. No problem. I made my coffee. But wait….now I have to use the bathroom……this isn’t good.
- Floor installation. Have you EVER heard whatever machine it is that cuts under your doorframes to allow for new wood floors to be installed? It has got to be the LOUDEST, most horrible, whiniest and most incessant noise machine ever invented. Pretty sure it’s currently being used somewhere in the world as a torture device. Writing content for a pretty little flower farm (trying to conjure up images of flowers, bees and all things nice) with that god-awful noise in the background was simply not possible. As an aside, in addition to my writing work, hubbie and I also own a Tool and Die shop. So, you know, working from the shop to get some peace and quiet isn’t really an option either.
- The dust. Is insurmountable. No point in even trying. My computer is on asthma inhalers. I am on asthma inhalers. My dog is on asthma inhalers. Actually, that’s not true – the dog is on a “vacation” at Nana’s house because it just wasn’t fair to keep her here. Us humans however? We’re tough. (NOT!)
- Kitchen remodeling has to be right up there with “most inconvenient renovation ever.” I’ve basically been camping in my house for about 6 weeks now. Camping is not fun, in the middle of summer, near a beach and it certainly isn’t fun in the middle of winter, with your front door propped open to allow easy access and your only available water source (when the plumbing is on) is in the laundry room, in the basement, where you are also washing dishes, cooking on a gas plate and still trying to get work done.
- Wifi – unplugged – accidentally – by the trades people – 13 x a day – enough said.
I guess the bottom line is you might be wondering why this “business” blog is all about my home renovations. Perhaps you’re also thinking, “I have no sympathy, you’re getting a nice new house out of the deal.” As to the first point, I’m pretty much incapable of thinking of anything else right now so blogging for a business blog while trying to run a business from home, during home renovations – well it seems that’s about all I can handle. As to the second point? You’re right, I shouldn’t be complaining and I’m not. Not really. Well, not much anyway.
As Owner and Principal partner of “Writing Right For You” Sheralyn is a Communications Strategist – working together with entrepreneurs to maximize profit through effective use of the written word. Looking for web content that works, blog articles that engage or communications strategies that help you get noticed? Contact Sheralyn today. Sheralyn is also the mother of two children now entering the “terrible and terrific teens” and spends her free time volunteering for several non-profit organizations.
Sheralyn Roman B.A., B.Ed.
Writing Right For You
Communications Strategies that help you GET TO THE POINT!